If I gave DD as much free time to get bored, she never eat dinner, get her homework done, brush her teeth, get outside for air and exercise. For a creative kid, there is no boredom with free time.....

But thank you, I asked and I got an intangible.

LaTexican, I really like your posts and thanks for the link.

I do not think you need cruelty, but strict rules are necessary. I expect DD to behave with manners, put her clothes in the hamper when she takes them off and try and tidy her room, etc. She has 3 friends over for a playdate (at the current moment) and it will be a cyclone hit in her room after they leave. It usually takes more than one reminder (request). Sometimes the requests get strident. Since it seems there is a constant request when we come in that snow boots live in the closet and hats and mitts go in their drawer.

DD would definitely put off homework if we did not make her get it done first. And we want her to learn that if she gets her tasks done first, she will usually end up with more free time. And if she does it well, instead of sloppy, it takes less time. Does that mean I am not building to her strengths?

I know the tangent isn't exactly what LaTexican was referring to but I think rules of behavior and expectation are getting slack. When I was growing up, people went to college, then you got a job and paid for an apt and food. You did not go home. It was kind of loser thing to do. Those were the expectations and everyone I know did that.
Eighteen year olds are in the army and getting killed for this country and yet people in their 20s are moping about their prospects. Kids are not taught responsibility for themselves these days. If we send an eighteen year old off to war, then kids should be basically taught that after college they can feed and shelter themselves. Part of survival. Does that make me a dictator?

Ren