Originally Posted by trimom
I guess the reason this article made such an impression is because it is the total and complete opposite of my approach thus far. When I found out that my daughter was PG, I did a lot of reading and what I discovered was that many of these children progress through grades rapidly, and go off to college early. I wanted my kid to have a normal childhood � this became my new goal.

As the parent of a PG kid who entered college early I totally understand where you are coming from. Here's another idea to consider though: it is possible to be go to college early AND to have a normal childhood. In fact being with intellectual peers may feel far more "normal" than being with same age peers and totally mismatched with the educational environment.

Many PG kids don't go to college early but how well that works depends a lot on the individual child's personality and the educational options available. I would just encourage you to keep an open mind and realize that you really have little control over how your child will progress academically. Short of locking her in some kind of sensory deprivation closet, she may well progress much more rapidly than you want or expect. Don't push it, but don't fear it either. Being advanced academically is not a sentence to an unhappy life.

Originally Posted by trimom
Since my preschooler was already reading at a 5th grade level � my husband and I became determined to keep her away from math.

Yeah, it doesn't really work that way. Sorry. We were very loose and unstructured with academics and the child was through years of math with very little exposure in hours.

Also while you may not enjoy math, I would consider that for some math is beautiful. I can't imagine if your child showed a talent or deep passion for art that you'd advocate keeping her blindfolded so she doesn't see how pretty the world is. This really amounts to sort of the same thing.