After reading the articles and comments, my parenting style seems fairly middle of the road. I believe in encouraging, even pushing, my DDs to move slightly out of their comfort zone, but I am careful not to push it too far so that we end up in an entrenched battle. I find that most people and teachers underestimate her ability so much that I shoot higher so that she can stretch.

My DD is very stubborn and wants things her way and honestly, doesn't like to do things that are not very easy and effortless for her, pre-k has never challenged her in any way so I think it is actually be good for her to be challenged, but there are so many limits with me in that position and why I won't homeschool. First, there is a perfectionist in me that has very high standards and it takes much effort to keep it in check. Every once in awhile my critical perfectionist pops out and then I feel very guilty for tainting things with that critical aspect of myself. I would actually love to foist worksheets and learning activities on my DDs because I was a teacher and it is just plain fun for me, but they resist so strongly and are so far ahead any way, that I just don't push those sorts of things. Second, my DD is at a stage where she does not like to work and struggle to learn. So many things came so easily for her that she resists things that are not instantaneous. I think she should experience struggling and mastering material, but she fights that with me. Because of this, I wish there were an academic program that suited her and pushed her just enough. Again, I can try to do a little of this myself, but she resists me ten times more than she would someone else simply because I am her parent.