Goodness! I wonder what this method does to children who really can't perform to the parents expectations (don't have the motor skills etc). I wonder how the suicide rate of children reared in this manner compares. I also wonder how teamwork and compassion for others can exist when everyone has to be the best or be considered a failure.

If you raise your child to only know happiness as a direct result of pleasing you, I am sure they will respond accordingly, just like a circus animal. But does this allow them to think for themselves or find their true passion?.

I grew up in a the extreme opposite environment: no expectations or pressures whatsoever. I went to a school where lesson attendance was completely optional. Some kids never went to classes at all but we all eventually found our passions and skills in our own time. It's not for everyone but it can work. Maybe we didn't become child prodigy's, but we became successful members of society.

I know out of my small cohort we have some dentists, chiropractors, investment brokers, editors, restaurant owners, business owners, IT professionals, business managers, activists, talented musicians, chefs, photographers, playwrights, cinematographers, authors, artists etc. We got to enjoy our childhoods while learning how to think for ourselves and get along with others.

I agree with with amazedmom: "Push a kid too much and you set them up to fail, push a kid in the right way and you give them the opportunity to rise to the occasion." I have found that as an adult, I have immensely enjoyed opportunities to rise to the occasion when they occurred in the work place, so I imagine it would be similar for children.

Just my 2 cents