Originally Posted by Wren
Maybe this should be a new topic, what counts for free time?

When she goes into her room and plays Barbies, free time obviously. Is going to see the Nutcracker because she really wants to go, free time? -- she is doing what she really, really wants to do. There isn't any pressure to do anything but watch, -- similar to free time spent watching TV? But I have to plan way ahead, buy tickets.

I'm with ColinsMum. If it's scheduled, it's not free time. Free time is a chunk of time when a person does whatever comes to mind. You can't be creative or imaginative unless you have a lot of this kind of time. Perhaps you don't put a priority on imagination; I do.

I don't think it's possible to define a precise percentage of a day or week as free time; it just has to happen. Perhaps it's a learned skill and, again, isn't a priority among Chua-method advocates. I think it's essential to healthy development. I'm not going to be fuzzy about cultural differences on this point. ALL kids need time to develop on their own, in their own way.

I think a lot of the issues we've been discussing on this thread boil down to a couple large parental assumptions. If people disagree, please, please say so.

Assumption #1: Children do not want to learn. People do not want to work. I must hover over my child constantly and force her to work, or she will never learn anything and will never be successful. I define "successful."

Assumption #2: Children generally want to learn, and most people want to accomplish something with their lives. My child seems to fit this description, more or less. I need to try to teach her the value of finishing things and working hard. I hope my child will be successful. It's up to her to define "successful."

It seems to me that a lot of Chua-style advocates don't consider the possibility that a person can do something useful or important without being forced to. How unfortunate.

I also think that this method can do a lot of damage to children, as the comments on the WSJ article show.

Val