Val, there also was mention of the assumption that Chuanese kids will be responsible for taking care of their parents in their old age rather than dump them in a nursing home and go on with their life. And commenters mentioned kid's will do that more out of love. I've read that other cultures feel more responsibility to live their lives for their whole families, not for themselves. Although this story would be an American fantasy of what would look like. Really I'll bet it looks more like families taking care of their own because there's no medicaid to pay for the nursing homes in poverty country's. I don't know. Reading about other countries paints such conflicting images. Guess I'll never know the whole truth about some things. So, add that to the assumptions. Not who will be successful but who will be responsible as well. That doesn't change the balance of who's right. It's just another thing.

He-hee. You can tell I read all the 4000 WSJ comments.

Oh yeah, what I've seen the chaunese described as, "parenting from a place of fear", which isn't very healthy.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar