Val,

I thought I was good to let her play 5 minutes before school, considering it takes 10 minutes and constant "put on your boots" just to get out the door.

Though in this age of technology, what is free time? Playing tennis on the Wii? Playing Barbies, doing a science experiment because they want to? Sledding, skating? I teach her when we are skating, so does that differ from her gymnastic class?

Maybe this should be a new topic, what counts for free time? Because skating isn't, I want to go skating and we go, we have to plan ahead, since we have to go on the subway to the rink and I have to bring skates and it has to be in a timeframe that works. Unlike when I was 5, I put on my skates when I felt like it and went across the street to a neighborhood rink (made by fathers in the hood).

When she goes into her room and plays Barbies, free time obviously. Is going to see the Nutcracker because she really wants to go, free time? -- she is doing what she really, really wants to do. There isn't any pressure to do anything but watch, -- similar to free time spent watching TV? But I have to plan way ahead, buy tickets.

Seems there is much more scheduled free time, with activities that I would do unscheduled as a child. Though I had less options.

Ren