Ooh, you said the "N" word in mixed company. �You're much braver than I. �Poppa Rex, lucounu, and Sylwester are at least three men I've noticed who gather here. �No, other people Let me know his strength and co-ordination and mobility were unusual. �Guess I would have known if I thought about it- I have seen other babies. �I already knew that you could lay any newborn on a mamma's belly and they would maneuver and scootch until they reached the nipple. �I had already read all about it. �What they didn't tell me was a co-sleeping newborn could find his way across the bed and latch on the target in the dark consistently without fumbling or groping around for it. �An old lady told me they do it by smell.
That really doesn't have to do with infant alertness I guess. �You know how most babies are kind of lazy-eyed and are content in their swing or playpen in their own little world until they need something or you coochie-coo them. �And how when they try to study something like their own fingers they stay cross-eyed longer,�and when they respond it's kind of in exaggerated slightly off-balance gestures. �It's cute. It's babyish.
Well alert infants always want to be where the action is. �They watch adults conversations and follow the conversation from one speaker to the next. �They control their movements voluntarily almost always. �That's why old women say a baby who was born alert "never was a baby."
Does it relate at all to giftedness, or is it an evolutionary survival trait gene left over from some pre-historic nonmad era?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar