I am by no means an expert, but this is what I did with my child. I told them straight-out that all the behavior issues and anxiety issues would get worse if he was bored all day. Luckily, he has a GIEP too. A lot of programs try to make behavior a requirement for Gifted. I argued that they had to meet his academic needs so we could get a true baseline for his behavior, and in the meanwhile, I would support them trying behavior plans that sounded reasonable.

Two, some of these diagnosis are fairly common in brighter students so aren't considered negative. If your child has anxiety issues, but every year there were less problems and both the school and you has that documented, then that sets a good strong pattern. The goal with my son is to have him get some accomodations, but not need as much by the time he gets to High School. The pattern of increased independent regulation of his behavior along with a good mind, decent grades, and some extra-curriculars should not be viewed negatively by a college and can be spun as a case of overcoming adversity and personal difficulties to become a success story.