Originally Posted by StarMan
Originally Posted by classicsmom
Originally Posted by aline
I want to interject something into this thread. Think about the adults you know, perhaps especially hg/pg males, and think about their "position" on the autistic spectrum. I don't know about many of you but there is a significant number of extremely successful people that I know who would be labeled as children but are perfectly smart but odd adults. The fear issue around some of this childhood labeling is destructive.

My concern with over-diagnosis and mis-diagnosis is that an diagnosis is a subjective thing based on someone's opinion. The Asperger diagnosis can actually fit a lot of quirky, gifted kids IMHO. I honestly think that myself and my dh may have been labelled as AS, but were not since we grew up in the 1960's. I am not sure how that would have colored or changed our lives since we both have/had successful careers. I also wonder would Einstein or Bill Gates have been successful if they had been labelled in childhood.

OTOH, I believe that diagnosis can be a good thing since it allows for treatment. I worry that autism is increasing possibly due to some environmental or genetic causes. In the 60's, you did not hear of this or see this as you do nowadays frown
I just do not want to see a diagnosis or medication made in haste for children IMHO especially when behavioral modifications could be done.

My ds is a quirky, gifted child who educators have expressed concern about. We did have him evaluated privately and by the school. He does not fit all of the criteria for AS and the doctor really did not have any recommendations besides considering a social skills group. We chose to not get the diagnosis of AS. We figure if he needs it, then we can get it. My ds participates in boy scouts, soccer, homeschool co-op, etc. He is a lovely, friendly boy. We did pull him out of school to do public cyber charter school at home which allows him to advance at his own pace grin We tried both a public and a montessori school and frankly, I think they were itching to put a label on him which my dh and I disagreed with since the doctor felt that even if he does have AS that it is "very mild."

yeah, If my DS as AS it is very mild, too. To the point where one minute I think yes, the next, no...

Tomorrow is the big meeting with the school psych, special ed teacher, and teachers...

And my husband can't make it due to work, so I am so nervous.

UGH! But at least we'll know... and know whether we need to go with the whole neuropsych eval. or not.

My son has been doing very well in school lately, though, both socially and academically... so at least we aren't in crisis mode!

I hope your meeting went well!

We have our meeting tomorrow so I'm anxiously awaiting that. The psych at the school has already informed me that he probably won't qualify for services unless he ends up qualifying as 'autistic like'. He seems a lot like your DS - some days we think he might have AS, other days we don't. He has some characteristics but not all and is definitely his own personality - everybody loves him but he just doesn't do that well socially.

I think either way we'll be taking the school's report to our ped so we can get a referral for pt/ot (which the school thinks he could really use which is why they want to qualify him for services) and maybe a neuropsych for a full eval. We'll see...

Anyways I hope you got great news at your meeting!