I heard that advice (don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't reconize) from Michael Pollan, author of Omnivore's Dilemma, when he was promoting one of his books. I don't know if it originated with him or not. It is one of the things that stuck in my mind, though, and made me interested in reading his books.

OHG, I have felt that this book has done a good job of descibing some of the issues my family's farm has gone through in terms of market pressures, legislation, big chemical companies, Big food corporations, incentives etc. It is very sympathetic to the farmer (and many no-win situations that they seem to get placed in) and to ordinary folks who might just want to know what they are actually buying at the store. As in the case of the baby carrots, you actually have to be knowledgeable to read the label and know the difference between a "real" baby carrot and a cut baby carrot that has been lathed down. I think that that is really the bigger point he makes in the book--we are so far separated from the point of production, we really have very little idea what our food has been through by the time we buy it. Anyway, if you decide to read farther, I'd be interested in hearing your thought.

Last edited by acs; 09/04/08 03:13 PM.