Maybe I'm not getting enough of the book quote to follow you here, but isn't that why he puts "baby" in quotes? To indicate that they are not really babies? And they do peel "baby" carrots on lathe-type machines, right?

I guess I don't understand what he's getting wrong there. I have never read the book.

(Sorry--we crossposted there!)

I didn't take "Fast Food Nation" as PETA propaganda, but rather as a criticism of our unhealthy, high-calorie lifestyle. I'm not a PETA fan myself--their frequent treating of women (never men) as "meat" annoys and offends me, plus I like a good steak and adore bacon!--so if they were trying to "get" me with the documentary, they failed miserably! The film encourages vegetarianism, certainly, and is critical of some of McDonald's business practices. But McDonald's isn't saintly, and I don't really have a problem with encouraging Americans to eat less meat and more veggies. That's just common sense if you look at our typical diet, where fries are the only veggies the average kid eats in a given day! Besides, I think that message is WAY too mild to be PETA-based propaganda! PETA generally has the subtlety of a sledgehammer, IMHO.

I do think the film does a good job of showing how damaging fast food can be to us if eaten more than occasionally (which we still do, even after seeing the film), and that a healthy diet rich in fruits and veggies and whole grains is important to good health.

Did you watch the movie and see PETA's pawprints all over it, OHG? I'm curious about what I missed there...

Last edited by Kriston; 09/04/08 10:54 AM. Reason: crosspost note added

Kriston