For the "130 and up are all the same" issue I've had some success advocating for PG kids using data from here https://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx

I made up a chart with 3 columns and then put in the numbers for IQ's from 130-160 (I stopped there because extended norms are non-existent in Canada, if you have a kid with scores above that you could continue)
- IQ
- Rarity of this IQ and higher 1/x
- A teacher will experience every...(for this, I used a 1:20 ratio that our school district targets for primary, obviously for larger classes and/or teachers that teach in multiple classrooms this would be different and you can redo the math)

IQ Rarity..., A teacher...
130 44 2 years
135 102 5 years
140 261 13 years
145 741 37 years
150 2,330 116 years
155 8,137 407 years
160 31,560 1,578 years

It might also be useful to add another column of how many kids would be expected in the district (I didn't do this because it highlighted that there are more gifted kids in our area than you would expect (for a variety of reasons) but I didn't want to distract and have them question why we have so many).

A variation of this was shown to me years ago by a local advocacy group when I first started our adventure. It really helped me understand why teachers and principals didn't seem to understand my child and our situation. This made it so clear that while they might have dealt with lots of gifted kids and what they were talking about might have worked well for many of them, there was a reason they were kind of clueless when it came to ones further to the right.

I know percentiles basically say the same thing but this made it a lot clearer to the wider audience I was dealing with. I'm a pretty mathy person and even for me this really hammered it home. It helped me feel a little less crazy/pushy/demanding for looking for more and gave me something concrete to point to as the reason why.

Last edited by chay; 04/11/18 05:45 AM.