My DS8 is in second grade full time gifted program where he is accelerated by one grade in all subject areas. He excels in school and always maxes out on achievement tests. His recent WISC-V results are in the 99.9th percentile. Though he does not say he is bored and he seems happy at school, I have a feeling that he finds the subject content easy as he can quickly finish almost anything he is working on.

Considering all thes factors, I have been talking to his teacher about a grade skip at this point. The teacher says he can totally pull off the grade skip academically and that yes, he finds most of the content easy as of now. He is December born and one of the oldest in his classroom. Therefore, I am thinking he can emotionally and socially fit in with the 4th graders (gifted classroom) next year. As of now, the teacher is making sure he is engaged by providing him independent inquiry based learning projects.

However, the final decision will be made by the principal and the gifted programs office and also depends on the policies. I have been called for a meeting next week with the principal.

I am planning to carry all the available data for the meeting. I am a little concerned if the grade skip can impact him negatively in anyway. Are there any parents here who have opted for a grade skip and encountered negative situations? Please also suggest how I should prepare for the meeting.

Reading through this advocacy guidebook right now. It is incredibly useful. https://dnnlv5ifs.blob.core.windows.net/portals/2/PDFs/Guidebooks/Davidson_Guidebook_Advocating.pdf?sr=b&si=DNNFileManagerPolicy&sig=QD1wJFgpbD0qSc%2B19ujLU6ImtSTG7%2B96vLdC80amMgE%3D