Mine used to do the math and get 100% on all the stuff that he could. Then when thrown an assignment that upset his Aspergers logic would just skip it because mathematically, his grade would be okay maybe a letter grade down.

I told him turning in anything would be better than skipping it. A zero brings your average way down, but a 50, 60 or 70 is much easier to keep an A. This was a skill he needed to develop. To turn in something "good enough". Even if he had to modify it a bit to his liking. Assignments he couldn't handle were like write an essay about why your middle school is THE best. Well he had evidence that his school wasn't "the best" and couldn't get past that. I said write an essay about three things you like about your school that makes it "tolerable", then go back and write the topic sentence to match (or come close) to the prompt. OMG you would think I suggested a crime against humanity. But he is now a junior in high school and he has got the hang of it. He really needed middle school to learn this and the arguing and carrying on was a phase he had to go through.