This is my DD. I have at times wondered how abnormal she really is because I never heard anyone else talk about how their kid lies about schoolwork. For her, it started in about 4th grade but she was in a highly gifted program and they were treating the kids like middle schoolers. I think the executive functioning demands were just too much for her and she decided it was better to not try and fail than to try and fail. She is now in an actual middle school and has an IEP. She goes to a "strategies" class rather than foreign lang. and the teacher makes sure she is writing down her assignments from the various classes in her planner, checking online for late assignments, finishing the late assignments, breaking down large projects, etc. Not sure if everyone in this group has an IEP or not, or if some of them are like your DD where there is no particular disability (mine does actually have ADHD). Maybe something to check out. This has reduced the stress and the drama significantly and DD is getting A's in all of her classes. Her attitude is also improving a lot. I also have a book "organizing the disorganized child" which has some interesting tips.

Good luck! I sympathize because it's extremely frustrating to deal with.