We definitely have scaffolded our DD as 6th grade was the last grade in which late assignments were accepted without incurring large penalties.

Also, knowing that I had EF issues as a schoolboy (and to some extent still do) I have watched this like a hawk because, like every parent, you don't want to see your offspring stepping into the same messes that you did.

We have bought one of those plastic coated (erasable) monthly planner/calendars from an office supply store and a set of coloured erasable markers - one colour per subject. Every time DD returns from school she writes the assignments given that day into the rectangle assigned for the due date.

This serves three purposes a) she keeps track b) we can keep track of her being on track c) writing it down as soon as she comes home, i. e. before she has started the actual work is generally the lowest anxiety (about it) time.

Every month, usually during the 3rd/4th week, we start to erase the earlier weeks to allow the newer assignments to be entered perpetually.

So far, this has worked very well; she keeps track, we can (and sometimes have to) keep her on track and she gets to see how long (in advance) she actually has to get things done. The last night before something major is due panics are way less frequent now :-)

The longer term goal is for DD to acquire a system that she can use independently.

Is it perfect? No. But it has helped a lot!

YMMV

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/02/16 06:38 AM.

Become what you are