Originally Posted by AvoCado
Is there a stated rule against doodling on projects? Would 15 points have been deducted for random swirls or flowers? What about a random scribble to get the ink going on your pen?
I think the teacher is out of line, and I hope your DS stays quirky! FWIW I kinda regret how much time I spent talking my older DD out of being weird and wish I'd spent that time instead talking other people out of being uptight. Yes, you have to learn about appropriate behavior for certain people/situations but, come on, that's nothing on the weirdness scale

Oh yeah there are unwritten rules against doodling - at least in this part of the world!!! My daughter is a champion doodler, and it has gotten her in trouble! I haven't seen points taken off yet though. She started the year trying to be "super good" and now those doodles are creeping back in. I wonder when the teachers will notice those snarky cartoon she does. The teachers caught her last year and put her on alert. Scared her for awhile.
Notice that the cartoons are "snarky". Sigh. It can rub some the wrong way for sure.