I don't really have a point in saying this--but, Irena, your post and also polarbear's kind of reminded me of a couple of important things about DS' 504. Maybe I just want to get my thoughts out in writing. I've somehow been kind of brainwashed into thinking the school is doing DS a BIG FAVOR by giving him a 504.

Fact is, the two most important "accommodations" in his 504 are not accommodations at all. They describe professional, responsible teacher behaviors of 1) keeping grade-book up to date by putting in assignments as they are made and 2) responding to my email. The only reason these items are in the 504 is because these things didn't happen last year and it had a pretty horrible impact on my child.

No student and/or parent (with or without disability) should find out the day the quarter ends their child hasn't been handing in major assignments and is failing. Especially if the grade has looked to be an A until that day--obviously there are cases when a grade is borderline and a test or something like that tips the scales.

I get that teachers fall behind and it is a hard job but we shouldn't really have to have things like this written in legal documents. Duh.