Originally Posted by BSM
You don't want to be the "annoying parent" who complains to the school all of the time. But you have a track record of mistakes, non-compliance, and apparently a lack of problem-solving effort.

You know what I have learned? Being the annoying parent totally has it's pay-offs. Everyone has this big fear of being the "annoying parent." I did too. For a very short time. Well, I got over it. And I am officially an "annoying parent" and guess what? It's good! It's also liberating! I never worry anymore about being "annoying" before I request, seek or even demand, which is liberating. I get to just go ahead and set about getting what my son needs; it's so nice not have to have that step of figuring out how to go about it without being annoying. I could not care less if Mrs. So-and-So thinks I am annoying. It's not my concern what is in her head. I also feel respected. Much more so then when I tried being the nice/likeable/non-annoying parent. They take me serious and deal with me rather than blowing me off because the quicker they deal with me they can lessen their annoyance. These people are not my friends. I have friends. They are not my family. I have family. They are professionals who may be held accountable and I treat them as such. My job is to ensure that they are doing their job, which is educating and giving my son access to his education. My job is not to be the 'most liked (least annoying) parent' in the school. Also, I think my kid actually gets better teachers due to it. The administration knows that if my son gets one that is not good the amount of "annoyance" he will have to deal with from me is so not worth it wink Last year, my son had great teachers and as a result we had one and only one meeting. They year before I think we had 8 iep meetings! They now realize it is in their best interest to not annoy the annoying parent!

Last edited by Irena; 10/15/15 08:14 AM.