Originally Posted by eco21268
Here are the newest qualities I am trying to develop in myself: be obsequious. Supplicating. Develop ability to beg. I wrote a pathetic email to the teacher explaining what the consequences to DS are if he does not get at least a C, and explaining this is the reason for that accommodation. I put all the blame on DS and his notoriety around failing to turn in completed work.

eco, I apologize - I haven't had time to read the other replies, so I'll apologize if I repeat something that's already been mentioned. The reason your ds has his accommodation isn't to prevent him from getting a bad grade (although that is what it does in practice). The reason he gets the accommodation is because he has a disability that impacts his organizational skills which in turn makes it difficult for him to stay on top of homework organization. If the accommodation were given simply to ensure a student didn't get a low grade because they forgot to turn in homework, then there would be a lot of students requesting a 504 plan with that accommodation. So... when you are in a situation like this, I'd stay non-emotional and simply repeat repeat repeat that he has a 504, restate his challenge etc. When a teacher isn't following the 504 document it with emails, first to the teacher, and then if it continues cc the 504 team, and if that doesn't result in a change, call a team meeting. CC or call in the district 504 supervisor at some point if you don't get results.

Advocating is *tough*, and chances are that in any given year, there's going to be at least one teacher who doesn't bother following the 504 or isn't interested or doesn't like it that your ds has a 504 or whatever... but begging isn't what works in the long run to change a teacher's mind. Actually you probably won't change the teacher's mind. Advocate from a point of strength, keep the focus on the impact of the disability and documenting issues in writing.

Hang in there,

polarbear