Originally Posted by blackcat
What would happen if you asked him to write a paragraph about that question (or similar question)?
Okay, I know you are being serious but the first answer that popped into my mind is that DS would likely look at me incredulously if I tried to make him write something that school isn't requiring...he'd be thinking "as if." This is the main reason I'd never seriously consider homeschooling...

Originally Posted by aeh
Yes, most would consider pragmatic language deficits eligible under the speech/language/communication disorder category.

It sounds like a significant portion of your concern is not purely expressive language, but written expression, especially in extended, analytical/inferential writing. In that case, achievement testing that targets lengthier writing products might also be informative. E.g., the TOWL-4.

If his oral expressive skills are that high, then, yes, the CELF probably would not delineate his language skills very well. Another approach, which has less psychometric rigor, but more face validity for most classroom teachers, would be to use Six Traits Writing rubrics to pull out the elements of writing that he is most lacking.

http://educationnorthwest.org/traits/trait-definitions
Thanks aeh!

I should say that his oral expressive skills are weird. He is very talkative with family and friends and we all think he's very interesting (but we're all weird, too--every single one of us--I've realized our entire tribe is very 2E). He does not seem to be able to have a conversation with any of his teachers any more, though. I think that may be anxiety--he adored his elementary teachers and vice versa and I never saw him afraid to talk to them (although the content of his conversations, I'm sure, was still odd).

I just called the university SLP clinic and DS is going to get an evaluation. The person on the phone didn't know about CELF-meta or SLDT but she said they could look into that, see if they can obtain it. She also said they can test written expression. She is a student and said the clinic director may know more.

She said absolutely they can work on social communication and all the students/clinicians are educated about ASD.

I used to teach writing via 6-Traits! I'd forgotten all about it. Thank you for that!

Also: I have emailed the SPED contact and asked her if she could explain the decision not to evaluate to me; specifically, I asked her if she used teacher data from last year (neuropsych eval) or current and if it's current, if I can look at it. At least, this way, I have some understanding of the rationale. I think I'm allowed to see that, yes?

Progress! smile