Originally Posted by aeh
A 504 can provide him with a behavior plan and legal protection from discrimination.
Does this vary from state to state? Our 504 coordinator told me last year 504 can do BIP but this year, at 504 meeting, she said now the district wants that via IEP. I know another student with 504 who has BIP but maybe that was grandfathered.

Originally Posted by aeh
Neither is necessary for a speech/language evaluation per se, but an IEP is necessary for services.
I think I already know the answer to this, but here goes anyhow: can a child with a high VCI have a receptive or expressive language disorder?
Originally Posted by blackcat
You mentioned getting an outside speech/lang. eval and I think that's a good idea (Just make sure you find someone who is capable of testing for your concerns). Your medical insurance may pay for this eval (ours always has, except for the co-pay). If it turns up something, you can take that report back to the school, and they have to consider it. You may also want to go back to the neuropsych and ask about standardized testing for poor EF (other than the BRIEF), or possible memory issues, to pin-point exactly what he is struggling with. You know that he's not turning in his assignments, but the school may view this more as a behavior problem than a neurological issue. But really, this is something that I think can go into a 504 anyway...teachers actually helping him to use the organizational aids/supports (so that hopefully one day he does it on his own), but it's just not happening and it's a compliance issue. Why are the teachers not complying? Are the accommodations/modifications unrealistic and too difficult for them? Then it's time for an IEP and sped teachers to get involved, because simple accommodations/modifications do not work and the teachers don't have time to do more complicated ones or take the amount of time needed.
DS' pediatrician said he could make a referral to in-network medical speech/language but it is more for hearing loss issues.

University can do this but will not bill insurance. I am inquiring about financial assistance.

I'm not sure about the accommodations. The biggest problem is that most of the organizational stuff has been left on the plate of one teacher and that teacher is the least experienced and seems to be the most rigid and uncommunicative.

My biggest concern at this point is I could end up spending more money I don't have, as I did for the neuropsych testing, and still spinning wheels, unable to access help, etc.

DS' neuropsychologist has closed shop and moved out of town. If I asked for more EF testing, it would be with someone different. What types of tests would be helpful? Also: DS' WM is good (127,I think) per WISC V. His PSI is lower but still average (109). When you say memory, is that what you mean?