Originally Posted by DeeDee
I do think it may be time for a letter from the special ed attorney specifying what the law states. They are saying his disability does not have any effect on him, educationally speaking (this is what they mean by "no disability" in their letter). We know this not to be true. Sometimes a lawyer will write the scare letter for you pro bono and only make you pay if it doesn't work and you need ongoing legal services.
I made a call to the lawyer, asking for consult/advice.

Originally Posted by blackcat
I obviously haven't seen your independent eval report, but I'm wondering if it focused enough on educational needs or impact.
The whole angle of the NP was educational. I used the psychologist the program coordinator and counselor suggested, even. It's full of details about how DS' ASD affects his function at school.
Anyway, I am sorry you are dealing with this. I get the sense that you are giving up (or feel like giving up)...don't do that, just take a few days to think about everything and plan your next steps.
Not giving up...stepping back to think.

Have they given you a copy of "parental safeguards" detailing your due process rights?
I have this information. I'm not encouraged by the Action notice referencing the 504, and the 504 Coordinator suggesting to me that DS' placement is a problem if I ask questions or report noncompliance. It makes me think it's a systemic issue.

I'm not sure which would be more taxing--continuing to advocate for DS or continuing to do what I'm currently doing in over-functioning for him. Since odds are I'll have to continue doing that part, is it even worth it to keep trying to have school give services? What if the services aren't of any use, anyhow? I know nothing about the SLPs in the district and DS' psychologist told me he didn't know how helpful the school would be with the EF issues.

Who would I call at State Department of Education?