I will say that the two groups is commonly done here.

Kids are put in their grade level class so that they are not denied the grade level instruction (they are going to get a high stakes test on the grade level standards not at functioning level so it isn't fair if you don't at least present it to them...I guess they hope that they get a portion of it) and then they get a separate class for intensive intervention.

But as far as I saw when substituting during the intensive math class they didn't take the child back far enough to close up those foundation skills gaps. The intensive intervention was grade level, maybe the grade below and some let's memorize those multiplication tables. The kids were still lost as heck in the intervention group.

So to answer your question...it isn't unheard of to do it this way. I would ask a lot of questions about the grade level class...can she use a calculator? Can she have reduced number of problems to do? Can she really delve into how numbers work and not just the algorithm for how to find the answer? Can all the crazy five different ways to solve a problem using stupid lattice and matrix and crazy cray math be eliminated? If you are going to teach several ways to look at a problem (like number line, ten frame, etc.), can you demonstrate them but let her pick the one that resonates/makes sense to her rather than require she use all ten different ways upon demand? Manipulative, pictures, etc. available to use at will.

And finally on the grade level class if it is being taught one on one can it go at her pace not worrying if you get to the last page in the book but more concerned that she masters less content, rather than covers all the content and learns little of it. (but sometimes the best thing to do is move on to another skill without mastery of the previous one...my son as an early elementary homeschooler was a savant wiz at time but just couldn't get the whole money thing...so after spending time on the money chapter, and extra time on money...it was clear we needed to move on and let his brain work on it subconsciously. We moved on in the book but would play money games once or twice a week. Finally we came back to money and started the whole chapter fresh. He did a bit better. We continued the money games came back to money the next year and it was like he never struggled with it.)

Last edited by Cookie; 08/28/15 06:14 AM.