Hi, not sure if this will help but I personally have never been able to really memorize math facts. I still count on my fingers and when I do paper math I make a dot pattern to add up numbers.

When I multiply I add eight seven times, no matter how much time I spend trying to memorize my times tables. I have no trouble with manipulations and can estimate well, like 8 and 8 is 20-4, so 16. And 8 4 times would be 40-8, so I figure out the answers quickly enough, just not through memorization. My mental math pretty much relies on multiples of 10, I know that 10-8 is 2. If I have to do 11-8 I need to count. So in my head I say 9, 10, 11 and basically count mental fingers. I could also subtract one from each and find the difference, but for numbers so small I can count mental fingers just fine.

I just have a really hard time remembering my multiplication and addition facts and even if I think I might remember I still double check as I don't remember remember. Ironically I have a great almost photographic memory for anything other than numbers. I can recall picture of street signs in perfect detail, except for the numbers. I remember all of the word names of roads, but not highways with number names.

I have never had any trouble with math concepts and I loved things like geometry when we did proofs and other math that was less numbers based. I'm great at maps and puzzles and spacial rotation. I will say that because of my trouble I have never really enjoyed math so I always took as little as possible.

I am fine at coming up with what numbers I need to add in everyday life, I just ask someone else to add them for me. It takes me just a second to determine the numbers I need to add to take 17% off of something, I just can't add the numbers in my head without serious mental effort. And I'd probably be off a bit anyway do to errors introduced by finger counting and trying to keep numbers in my head and manipulate them so inefficiently for such a long period of time. And after all of that I'd still have to do a subtraction problem! All of the finger counting makes it take so long and just be so much work.

So, basically I ended up being pretty average in math. I got a 530 on the SAT in 11th grade (never took it again as I went to college for my senior year) and while I loved science and math concepts, I ended up getting a degree in something that didn't require much math. I went for a BS though, as the extra bit of math was much better than having to take a language. I'm completely incompetent at foreign languages. I was never diagnosed with a learning disability, but back when I was in school I doubt there was even a concept of math disability.

So if this sounds anything like your child I'm sure your daughter will do just fine, especially since there is so much more help now than there used to be. There are also so many different kinds of math that can actually even be fun for a person who isn't great at numbers. Overall I have been successful and happy with how college went for me. On the strength of my verbal skills and writing I still ended up with scholarships and other than the 3 math classes I took in college I got all good grades. In fact those 3 semesters were the only ones I didn't make deans list. We can't all be good at everything. I will say that a math based career sure pays more, but I have been very happy in my field.

Also, for me practice didn't help. I could do a million worksheets on basic addition and I would still end up counting in some way to answer the questions. I have done a ton of math homework and practice in my life and while concepts have never been an issue, calculations are still an issue. I honestly can't use a calculator well either, I mess up entering the numbers. So paper math and dots are still my preferred method.

I also have always had trouble with spelling and foreign languages, although I guess trouble is subjective. I have never actually tested below average at anything, but I have always felt like a huge failure in those three areas because I was only average to slightly above average. I do feel like there is something wrong with me though, like math should be easier. I actively avoid math daily just because it's work for me.

I'd be very hopeful for a kid like me these days. With all of the awareness and extra assistance schools give now I'm sure your daughter will find happiness and success. I'd also recommend not discouraging finger counting. My school did not allow me to do it after 4th grade and it made math much more unpleasant for me. I just replaced it with dots. When my teacher caught on I started writing them lightly and erasing. When they caught onto that I came up with a mental system. Either way I am still counting and my fingers are still very handy for the task.