Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
Welcome to the "club." Not to be flippant, but this seems so common with gifted kids. You may want to read up on the concept of asynchrony. FWIW, these issues seem to nearly disappear for us when DS is in his accelerated classes.

Are you seeing this in other contexts?

Thanks.

I have read some on asynchrony, and I was pretty sure that's what she/they were seeing. But a parent saying it, and being able to back up your comments with expert resources are two different things, you know what I mean?

I also spoke with someone in the enrichment program DS attends on Saturday mornings, her response was "they don't have much experience dealing with gifted kids, do they?" I think that may be the crux of the issue.

We met with the teacher and principal when he was in first grade because he was reading way ahead, but his teacher refused to recognize it, claimed he did not have the comprehension because he could not identify the -ly word in a sentence....uhhhh that's grammar, lady, not reading comprehension! Neither the teacher nor the principal were very interested in hearing our child needed anything different than regular old first grade curriculum. DS had not been tested, and we knew they wouldn't do it, so we went independent for testing. The school now has to recognize DS giftedness, but they really don't want to do much for him. By law the school had to provide him services, but they are not funded by the state. I think mostly DH and I don't want to be "those parents" but when you are dealing with giftedness, I am finding that you HAVE to be one of "those".

Last edited by Mr and Mrs P; 03/20/15 07:16 PM. Reason: Added quote and corrected typo