Last week during parent teacher conference, DS7 2nd grade teacher said she and his reading teacher (he is not formally accelerated, but does go to a 3rd grade class most of the time for reading instruction)both see that he is immature. She said he makes noises and dances around sometimes when he is supposed to be doing work. She suggested the immaturity was due to the fact that he is an only child and doesn't get to spend enough time with other kids. She suggested we involve him in more activities with other kids.

He goes to Sunday School and junior church each week, a children's Bible club meeting once a week, Saturday morning enrichment classes, and he plays spring and fall soccer. This is in addition to playing with neighborhood kids.

I did not rebut her at the time, mostly because I couldn't think of a good rebuttal. (I have never been good at thinking on my feet!) Later, on the way home, I thought that maybe what they are seeing is acting out due to boredom.

I want to follow up with the teacher because she also made a veiled reference to him maybe not being allowed in the GT pullout program next year because of his "immaturity". I know he is not being challenged by the 2nd grade curriculum and I know he really needs the be in the GT program next year.

Can any of you give me some good resources I can use to back up my case when rebutting the teacher's accusation?

Thank you in advance for your help.