Originally Posted by Mana
Sorry, I should have clarified since the discussion has turned toward SAT from K admission test. My DD is going through admission process this fall for a private K-12 school and their cutoff is around 92%ile to 95%ile, depending on the year. They give an abbreviated of standard IQ test. Maybe I should be panicking since I know many children who are applying have been going to a test prep center since age 2 as well as working with a tutor but I didn't want to go down that road. I didn't want test prep to define her childhood.

I don't think I can make DD "smarter" in the next few months. So in that sense, there isn't much point in prepping her but I'm not sure if getting her a workbook like this would be too close to cheating for my own comfort level:

http://www.amazon.com/Gifted-Talent...=8-5&keywords=test+prep++gifted+talented

ETA: We're also applying to an academic hothousing school that gives IQ and achievement test. I think DD would get in there. The other school also looks more into her social skills and other global readiness and she'd be one of the youngest girls for the application pool. That is why I think she has to ace the IQ test so they'd have a reason to overlook her quirkiness and immaturity. She can be charming and endearing if she wants to but it comes and goes.
No I wouldn't prep for an IQ test. (And didn't my DS15 just took one last week.) I was talking about the SAT. SAT is an achievement test, I would prep for that. Some kids here take the SAT in junior high to qualify for different "gifted" programs so I wasn't sure.

Edited to add, I just looked at the link and that makes me sad. My attitude to the preschool years is let them play, and it's frustrating to see people put their preschoolers through this stress. Even the one "gifted" school is my area doesn't require an sort of testing for their K program, just an interview. (I should say didn't don't know if it changed.)

One more thing what I might do with a preschool kid is have them practice their social skills. Tests for preschool/K are usually given one-on-one. And this can hurt a bright but shy/introverted child.

Last edited by bluemagic; 07/12/14 06:21 PM.