Originally Posted by raptor_dad
....but people seem to prefer more modern culturally biased tests... If you want gifted programs to use these weird hybrid iq/achievement tests like sages or cogat or even some modern verbally biased iq tests then you can't be outraged when people prep for them.

I don't think anyone here has been advocating for the use of these tests (though we've had threads that are very critical of them, and the people who publish the tests say that [i]don't[/i] measure IQ).

Originally Posted by raptor_dad
My experience, personally and as a parent is that gifted individuals will generally, absent 2e issues, still test in the top 2% even on these flawed instruments.

You may have missed a major point of this thread, which is that in a place like New York, where there are more students passing the tests than there are slots in gifted programs, being in the top 2% (or even 1%) is no guarantee of admission. They don't admit the highest scores first and work their way down. They have lotteries.

Yes, the schools need more slots, or a meaningful way to address the needs of all the students. But a failing of the schools doesn't justify a multimillion dollar kindergarten test prep industry that makes the problem worse.

Last edited by Val; 07/11/14 06:34 PM.