I understand that most people have IDs, but we should be allowed to walk down the street without needing to produce ID-- yet in our area, police routinely ask for ID. I rarely carry ID when not driving.

Photo id is NOT free here. Haven't checked lately, but 20 years ago, it was 25.00.

I won't even touch on immigration, natural disaster, and theft-- all reasons for not having an ID or having an id that reveals inaccuracies. With an id, people can find out lots of stuff that invades privacy. I do not give out my ssn and that number is on driver's licenses. I don't want my school having that info, or the secretary at the school. Identity is precious, something to be protected. I don't give out info without a legit reason.

Usually when I visit school, I walk. One time when I tried to vote at the school, they asked for my id. I almost didn't vote til a supervisor came and asked me for more info, then allowed me to vote.

Count me on the side of not wanting all my info out there to anyone who cares to see it. I have no problem with prescreening, and no problem with flashing the license. But I don't want people who I don't know, writing down my info, taking pictures of my license, etc. Has everyone in that office been screened? (especially this applies to medical facilities!--you can verify who I am and take what you need to submit a claim but you do NOT need my infant's ssn).