Originally Posted by ultramarina
We have had some good teachers and administrators in our day, but I think one thing that sometimes happens is that the daily carrot/stick behavior-management aspects of teaching seep into the bones of school personnel and they get very weird with the power games. I see this desire to win and to be alpha. Who cares if the kid doesn't go on the field trip? (I also see MYSELF--the way I get sometimes when it feels like my kids are getting the better of me at every turn, and I start to turn into a petty dictator trying to get the upper hand and prove I'm in charge here. It's not a nice look.)

YES! I always get upset with myself when I recognise I'm getting to that point. Luckily I can stop, breathe and change direction. Not sure if the slow-turning wheels of "corporate culture" that assimilate into some schools would allow for the same recognition and self-adjustment.

It's also one of the reasons why I am more and more wary of things that reward "playing the game" with gold stars/A symbols/insert carrot of choice here

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)