Originally Posted by nicoledad
I agree with everything you said. I understand it can be frustrating but this is 2014 not 1984. Child molesters pay taxes too so do they get the right to see the classroom. Apparently not everyone would rather be safe than sorry.

So, the child molesters are going to saunter into the classroom and start molesting kids right there in front of everyone? Or they'll just ask one of the kids to accompany them to the bathroom? Or maybe just lurk there, and no one will notice?

Seriously, this is a classic example of the wrong kind of caution. The greater threat in schools comes from employees of the school, background checks or not (here's a story from the Washington Post). My neighbor has worked in the county superior court for 30+ years. After a local math teacher was arrested 9 months ago, she told us that this problem is a lot more common than people like to think it is. I remember no less than 4 teachers/coaches in my high school who were fired for lewd behavior with students (in a five-year-period), and a fifth one made lewd comments constantly.

But I guess that making parents show driver's licences makes people feel better, so that's what we do. confused