Originally Posted by ultramarina
A possible explanation for much weirdness by school personnel is that they have school improvement or school wide professional development goals which involve meeting some arbitrary benchmark for attendance, on-time attendance, parent participation, communicating, outreach to parents, school-community partnerships, etc. It's the end if the school year, and they're running out of time to meet their goals, which might be tied to merit pay for the principal or teachers union members, avoiding takeover by the state, etc.

Yeah. Personally, I kinda still think it's something like this. They don't want to tell you, but some weird numbers game.

Or, control freak city. I have a theory that charter school brass tend to be like this. Micromanaging, control, control. They were at the charter we had DD at.
That's because charter schools are in danger of having their charters ripped away every couple of years, so they live in a constant state of fear. Also, they often have a cultish emotional commitment to whatever their special little approach is. Down to the last detail. (Not knocking all charters; I think competition and experimentation in education is a good thing--way better than monolithic bureaucracy. But charters also attract visionaries and fanatics, on the one hand, and profit-driven edubusinesses on the other hand.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...