Originally Posted by Val
Dear Highly Ranked High School,

Well, it sure has been a bang-up year in the math department. We started with an arrest of a teacher because he was a sexual predator. Everyone rallied around him because he was "so popular" among the students. Yes, hmm. Sexual predators do have a way of ingratiating themselves with their prey.

And, naturally, this person will be teaching computer science next year. She announced this fact herself on one of her rare days in class.

Well, there you are.

Signed,

Someone who wonders, if this is a highly ranked high school, what do the bad ones look like?

(If anyone can top bottom this one, I'll cry with you.)
I often say same the same sentiment. If my school is consider highly ranked, I'm scared to see what a lower ranks school looks like.

I can't top the post about the math teacher. But I do have a similar although less appalling thing happen in 7th grade. One day the fall of my 7th grade year my math teacher walked into school with an orange juice container filled with vodka, completely drunk. He was so drunk the 8th graders noticed and called down to the office. (And we ended up with an extra week of drug/alcohol awareness.) At least he wasn't a loved teacher, most parents were complaining about him. It was the last time we ever saw that teacher. What my mom said is that she was supposed to meet with him to talk about how he unchallenged in math I was that week, and I know there were several other parents who were putting pressure on him to challenge us more. (I don't remember the details... just the most memorable like all the gossip about the 8th graders finding him drunk.)

After that we had a few weeks of short term subs and then a long term sub who I hated just as bad. She was simply teaching right out of the book, one assignment ahead of the class. I got reprimanded for cheating at one point because I had the not so clever idea to share the boring long division homework in study hall. This teacher though it was because I didn't know long division. Luckly, my mother came to bat for me again. At least I didn't have to put up with her the next year as I was taking Algebra, but I did have study hall with her once a week. I was even more disillusioned with her when I tried asking her for help on my homework and she was clueless. Turns out she had only an elementary teaching credential.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/29/14 01:43 PM.