Originally Posted by playandlearn
I also find this a very common attitude. Our school district's stated goal is for every child to achieve to the full extent of his/her abilities. In practice though, if a student is at grade level or above, or gets a passing grade, then there is nothing to worry about.

Yes! Case in point: We are in a province that has a two year full day kindergarten program beginning at age 4. DD's class was given a list of words that they should know how to read and spell by the time they finish the two year program. She came home with the list of words and said mommy I know all of these words already. She actually does know all of them but she'll happily repeat and go over these words if the teacher asks because she's a pleaser.

After the holidays I asked her teacher when we would be receiving her next report card. She told me that we would get the next report card shortly and that they would be meeting only with the parents of children they have concerns about. Then she added that there was really no reason to meet about DD because she is fine. I suppose she thought that that would make me feel good about my child's progress this year.

I totally understand that there are students that need extra support/help in various areas or are not meeting the academic targets for the year and that it is important to meet with their parents. I have absolutely no problem with that. However, why isn't it important to discuss that my child already knows the current class work? Why is it ok for her to repeat things she already knows ad nauseam? At least meet with me and tell me that you know she knows it. At the VERY least give her one extra word to learn a week. Give me a list and I'll give her the one extra word to learn a week. Throw us a bone!!

If I were more complacent, I suppose I'd be satisfied with DD's teacher saying that there's nothing to meet about because it means that there is nothing to worry about by their standards. I'm sure that many gifted students blossom in third grade and that many have large leaps in understanding. In our situation, though, it looks like the "everything will even out in third grade" adage is something that the district is actually working towards rather than something that happens organically. If DD were to rely solely on her school for all of her input and they place a limit on the amount they allow her to receive, then of course she would even out.

I will state for the record that I do like DD's teachers. They have helped her with a lot of non academic skills and are kind and nurturing. We're okay for now with me afterschooling but I worry about the future.