I know our experience is unlike that of most parents here because we have the good fortune to have a gifted magnet available to us, but I just will put in that the teachers at the magnet are fully aware that gifted does not have to mean "highly motivated achiever who does not make waves." That isn't to say we don't have some of those--and I will mention again that all these kids are 130+ IQ (hard cutoff). It's all over the map. I have a quirky high achiever myself (she gets very good grades but also evinces many "Hello, I am gifted and creative and rather a pain" characteristics), but her classmates include kids with LDs who have areas of very high achievement, some kids who are all around very bright, some artistic kids who are unusual and interesting, some highly mathy kids, some kids who were obviously square pegs and "I'm bored" problems in previous placements--it really runs the spectrum. Note that the curriculum does not fully suit all these kids. However, the teachers are no fools and do not ever question whether these kids are gifted. They know they are.

I honestly do not know if any of her classmates are PG. I don't know them well enough to say. I suspect not, but I could be wrong. I would say that certainly, definitely, some are HG.