I was thinking about this over the weekend. I met 2 kids and their moms this weekend. One kid, a just turned 4yo, can add and subtract using his fingers. The other kid, a just turned 5yo reads fluently. Both moms pointed it out proudly and both kids demonstrated their skills. I have known both these kids since they were babies. I am truly happy for how smart they are. However, I am not sure they are gifted as much as prepared. I feel guilty even saying this here on this forum but I know the classes these parents send their kids to that make these kids appear gifted. I never show off my kid (except to my parents and of course here). Some days, I am not even sure she is gifted. But then she does stuff that cannot be taught, that is natural and blow-your-minds-off amazing, that makes me think that she is different. She may not be as prepared, she may not have the training that these other bright kids have. But she has a brain that is constantly thinking and coming up with its own neat ideas on how the world works. So yes, my kid won't tell you what 6x5 is nor read a word in front of others but she will show you her spider web that she has been painstakingly building for the last 2 weeks. I just realize I have been rambling but like I said I have been thinking about this lately.