Pulling this up to update.

1. The "girlfriend" thing was apparently a short-lived phase. Not sure if this was actually gender-identity/orientation related, or if it was individual-specific. Either way "not a true peer" seems to have been the case in this instance, which made the relationship, such as it was, an ephemeral one to begin with.

2. One thing which I'd suspected early on, but didn't really feel at liberty to discuss, was that the GF was apparently eliciting a cry for help of her own with the "I have this friend who is cutting" schtick. In other words, I think that my DD was experimenting based on advice (??) from this friend/love interest. We've limited the interaction between the two girls-- not overtly (that often backfires with a kid like mine) but covertly and naturally. DD has-- truthfully-- sort of outgrown her, if she ever really 'fit' well to begin with (other than feeling "safe").

3. Internship WAS the ticket out, actually-- things have improved light years from six months ago merely as a result of that collegiate experience.

4. We were concerned with DD self-labeling and limiting her gender/orientation prematurely-- luckily, she seems to be keeping things open there, and has apparently acquired a new admirer who is a male classmate. She is now regarding the abusive male peer as-- well, a pathetic little turkey, which is a relief to us, because she was downright terrified of him for a very long time.

In other related news, we aren't sure how thrilled we are about the fact this new beau is nearly 18, and DD is just 14. Now, he KNOWS how old she is, and apparently her brains are the appeal for him.

Being HG+, however, means that my DD is quite thoughtful and sophisticated in her understanding of the situation.

This is leading to some very peculiar conversations about things like statutory rape law, however, and what exactly constitutes breaking such laws, and what the particulars are of R&J clauses within our state. Conversations that would be BEYOND weird if not for the situation of having a 15yo college freshman on my hands in less than a year. KWIM? She was extremely reassured to learn that nobody is going to be labeled a sexual predator merely for holding her hand or taking her out for pizza. Just the same, I think that I'm relieved that it appears that they won't be headed to the same college.

Radical acceleration... weird, weird places this journey is taking us.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.