my sense from your brief exposition is that she isn't being attracted to the younger children, but is recoiling from some aspect of living as an older person.

It's my sense, as well. She definitely doesn't seem HAPPY about it.

As MoN notes, she probably has a very good idea what she is doing, and why. Though... I have to wonder what was up with the recent regressive stuff with school/language. There's something going on, though, because when we've called her on it (why are you using less sophisticated vocabulary than two years ago), she responds as though we've touched a nerve.

The older NPD peer really did a number on her-- and yes, there was a component of boy-girl stuff there, and no, it wasn't in her head... but it WAS some kind of sicko head-game.

The few times we've convinced her of the need for therapeutic intervention, sadly, her initial point of contact was underwhelming. Being like MoN's child, she has decided that most of those people aren't intelligent enough to even bother listening to her, never mind actually understanding her inner landscape. With that being the case, how on earth are they supposed to HELP her? Unfortunately, my own experience is mixed enough that I can't unilaterally tell her that such a view is incorrect. Some of the time it IS correct-- been there, done that. I have wasted months of sessions with someone who just plain wasn't 'getting' me well enough to be of any use whatsoever.

(My apologies to any mental health professionals present or reading.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.