Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Her girlfriend apparently has reported "cutting" behavior to her mom, which she then reported to ME. I thanked her, and I wasn't terribly surprised, but I've not seen evidence that it is a significant issue, more of a sporadic/exploratory thing, if that makes sense.

Cutters are generally "annoying" to me, as opposed to being a serious, disabling, problem. Generally, that's the least of the problems with the people I deal with.

It's just a stupid way to cope as far as I can tell.

I'm fairly chagrined to admit that this is basically my response, too.

When it's your own child, on the other hand, that feels kinda-- er,

callous. blush You do know that you have REAL problems, don't you? I can MAKE real problems for you to work on if you like, you know... or you could maybe worry about your R.E.A.L. problems... I could give you a list of things to REALLY work on... otherwise? Yeah-- suck it up, Buttercup.

I'm not ordinarily much of a Spartan mom. This just struck me as... a hobbyist level self-destructive thing, mostly a self-pity related expression of angst. My impulse is to tell her to get over it, which isn't helpful.

I'm tempering THAT impulse with the angel of my better nature, which realizes that this isn't exactly a normal response to stress.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.