It sounds like Siya might be ready to look into deeper aspects of reading. When you look at a book like GoodNight Moon, there is much more depth than just the story or words. Does she look for the mouse? Does she notice how the kittens "feel" or how the "mittens" feel? Does she have mittens? Get them wet and let her hang them to dry. See how long it takes to dry wet mittens? How does the old lady look -- old, tired, peaceful?? Is the bed ready to sleep in or ready for rising? Does the rug need dusting? Is the child hungry? Is the fire hot or cold?

There are lots of things to work on in those books than just the quickly memorizable story lines. When you read to her do you emphasize phonics and reading mechanics or do you go off on tangents like the above described?

If you need ideas on developing those tangents let me know. My suspicion is that Siya will enjoy those "finer" aspects of reading even the books she thinks she is bored about.

"Making stories around it" shows that Siya is already, on her own, developing a sense that "reading" is about "knowing" and "experiencing".

Try some easy chapter books next. I'd suggest the Magic Tree series.

As for Legos and the like, do you play with her with those or do you let her play with them herself alone? I'd suggest the latter to the former. Just leave them out in an area where she can get into them at will then when she starts to play with them, stay in the background and let her explore them without instruction or guidance.

It is good you have connections to Delhi and Bombay. We had a flat in Bomday for a long time, but sold it about 10 years ago. Too sad as it would be worth about 10x as much now!!! chuckle.

Anyhow, Delhi has some good bookstores and education options are a bit better, than in the south. I know my husband's young cousins go to schools there in Gurgaon that are much more flexible in learning than the typical Indian school. I'll ask them which they are and what they suggest for you.

You know, really, Siya has it better that there are NOT so many books to choose from, imo. She must rely on her capable mind to entertain herself and it already shows that she has developed there.

Do you ever get a chance to go abroad? Does Amazon deliver directly to you or do you get their deliveries through a third party? What other books do you have?

Do you have a printer? You can print your own pictures and make them into puzzles. Also start doing simple logic puzzles and tricks with her.

Do you have web access at home or do you go to an internet cafe?

Willa

Willa Gayle