Dali -

One thing we did with my children was to use tv - don't know what your access is though. We watched carefully chosen educational tv shows together. No wars or blood - but things on how buildings are constructed or how bathtubs are made or the historical origins of a myth. The kids really enjoyed that more than typical kid programming.

Computers were great for us as well. Many great computer games that helped to hone math and reading skills - but also logic, and creativity. I know - seems like a lot for a 19 mo - but you can always start small and expand as their skills grow.

An old fashioned children's encyclopedia worked wonders for us. We bought an old set of 'Charlie Brown's Cycopedia' - and both kids read and reread and reread.

From my experience, money spent on nonfiction was much more useful than money spent on fiction. We also bought many books that were actually intended for much older children or for adults (although always with some prescreening for content). Field guides to nature always were hits. Lots of pictures for when they were in childlike moods - but lots of facts and graphs and maps for when they were in adult mode.

We bought many books used from other people at weekend markets, yard sales, and on ebay. Are there any sources of used books available to you? Large lots can be cheaper than individual titles often.

Can you access hoagiesgifted.com? It is a great web site that has a ton of articles on giftedness. One of the best resources I know.

Many parents of gifted kids have enjoyed the book 'Raising your spirited child' (or something like that - I don't have my son's memory for book titles). Helps you to view things a little different.

Keep in mind your child is different. Normally, in the US, children are expected to nap until age 5 or 6. We stopped naps at around 18 months because they were such a nightmare for the whole family. We replaced them with 'quiet time' - quietly listening to a book on tape or watching a calm movie - and allowing the parent on duty to nap! Made a huge difference in our lives.

We have found that certain foods have very beneficial effects. Carrots with lots of beta carotene and salmon with lots of Omega fatty acids have a very visible impact on my kids' behavior and their ability to control themselves.

Get familiar with Dabrowski's overexcitabilities. (Lots of articles on the internet and some coverage in books as well.) Helps you to better understand the range of normal behavior for gifted children.

Does your daughter pretend at all? Can you encourage that? This creative side can be a real boon. Art, music, stories, games - all can be the result of this - plus it can win you some more time alone as she will be more content to play alone.

Don't worry about social development as though it were the only thing that mattered. It is just one piece of growing up.

Can she start to learn chess? That was another real boon to my DS. It helped him to see a reason to slow down and think before moving.

Oh well- all I can think of - good luck.

Mary

Mary