Hi MyAslan,

I have no doubt that preschool would be boring to your son. My son (now 8, 3rd grade) *hated* preschool. He only lasted 3 weeks. He was much happier being home where we could read and do puzzles and make up stories and play with numbers, etc. My daughter (now 6, 1st grade) was like your son and wanted so badly to go to school from the time she was 3 years old. (Part of it was that she had two older siblings in school and wanted to be like them.) We put her into preschool a year earlier than planned--and actually, she only went for the last 3 months of the school year--and then into K at 4-1/2 years old at a private school (same place where she attended preschool). We did this to get around the age cutoff in our state. Because she did K at the private school, we were able to enroll her in 1st grade at public school at age 5-1/2.

The best thing you can do for your son now is to follow his lead, let him explore whatever interests him. Read everything you can find on gifted children. And start exploring the school options in your area. Maybe for now you could try to get him into a preschool with older kids, if he really wants to go to school? Or a Montessori-type school where he could learn at his own pace?

Keep reading and posting here. I have learned so much from everyone here.

GG