Originally Posted by indigo
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
... it is often successful/wise to take a non-confrontational approach that permits them ... to come to the correct conclusions THEMSELVES. In colloquial terminology this could be termed the "two hands and a flashlight" model of communication.
I think that I may be confused about this. Can you help me?
What is the learning objective for this activity? I'm not sure that I understand that, and I'd like to be able to support it from our end, as well.
Oh-- that's lovely! What a great thing!
Hmm-- yes, I can see how that is a great goal! Uh oh, though-- what if my child isn't finding {plan} engaging enough to be compliant?? I agree that this is a big problem in a classroom. I'm not sure that I'm understanding why my child is being punished-- how will that accomplish {objective} here?
What do you suggest we can try so that this activity isn't feeling like punishment?
If teacher comes up empty, you can ask "Can we try -----?" questions to feed solutions in.
+1

HK, Your approach above is an art! I know this is how I should do it but not being raised in the WASP suburban way this is very hard for me... It's second nature to my mother in law, for example, (I really admire she's really got some talent in this manner) but not to me... I'm an inner city, lower socio-economic girl - I do think we tend on the whole to be more direct and confrontational.

However, since this topic will likely come up in the iep meeting in a few days, I am going to make this an outline for me to have and I am going to go by it and see how it works smile Having this as a script to stick to will help me keep my patience. I do bet it'd work magically. smile