Irena, is your ds in 1st or 2nd grade? I'm sorry I can't remember which! The reason I ask is, it just occurred to me this morning - you have a teacher who appears to be very rigid about this... I'm just wondering (and speculating) that there's a good chance you aren't the first parent who's perhaps complained about this, and that may be part of the reason she's reacting the way she is. The reason I asked about the grade is that there would have been several children in my kids' 1st grade classes who were reading Magic Tree House level books at the start of the year - and some children reading books ahead of that level. For sure by 2nd grade there would have been quite a few (if not a lot) of kids in class reading at that level. I looked online and realize they are technically rated for grades 3-7, but they were mostly popular at our schools in early early elementary. I can't imagine even my reading challenged 4th grader still being interested in them at 9 years old - most of the students in her 3rd grade classroom last year had moved on beyond that level. My kids weren't in a gifted school or gifted classrooms in early elementary.

So maybe I'm off base, but I'm just wondering if maybe that's not part of it - other parents have perhaps complained too?

Seriously, I would be so beyond annoyed about this! Especially the concern about "obedience" - yikes!

polarbear

ps - from everything you've written it sounds like this is all about a teacher digging in her heels and wanting it her way - but if she does happen to question whether or not your ds is actually comprehending at this level, request her to test his reading level! Or at the very least pull out his reading level report from the end of last year. If the teacher doesn't want to, I'd take it to the principal.

Last edited by polarbear; 10/03/13 10:22 AM.