Originally Posted by Irena
And it seems another big part of their goal is proving to me my child is not "really smart." Meanwhile, when I do things the school's way (i.e., force him to only do THEIR math and move at their math pace and force him to only read their books only on the level they say - he just stagnates and is depressed. But I send him to mathnasium where they let him move as fast as he is capable and nurture his love for math and he went from the 60th %ile in math to 95th%ile on the Woodcock Johnson. When I let him read what he wants the same thing happens with reading. I am seriously starting to think he learns in spite of school and certainly not because of it!

I've heard of this happening (school creating a ceiling to hold child back, school trying to prove child is not smart), even with a DYS who started college at age 15. I am so sorry to hear this type of thing is still happening, with gifted ed having been around for some 50 years now... so many teachers/schools/programs are working at crossed purposes with an appropriate education, both in curriculum placement & pacing, and cluster grouping with similar readiness & ability. In fact, on an ever-increasing scale, more schools may be about holding an "ahead" child back... NCLB could be No Child Learning Brilliantly.

You have my empathy. You may wish to ask your child on a daily basis what the best thing was about school, and what the worst thing was about school. This will keep the lines of communication open, he will know you don't blame him, and you will stay up-to-date.

Try advocating by sharing with the school, the positive research as found on the Davidson database, and also positive practices which are being done elsewhere.