It's unbelievable, really!

No it wasn't a sub - apparently this is been going on for a few weeks and he didn't tell me. He was "sneaking" the Wizard book and that's why she told him she would take it away permanently if she caught him reading it again (he kept getting in trouble for reading). Then he tried to read Secrets of Droon and got his "ticket pulled." Sorry but it's down right moronic!

Here I am putting the book in in his bag all of the time, wondering why he took it out and wondering why he isn't reading it anymore frown

And they spend so much time trying to convince me that DS "isn't ready" for higher level reading and higher levels math but when he's taken somewhere else or permitted by me to have free reign he really rises and he rises fast. The 100 book challenge book arguments I used to have with them (teachers) were about how he's "sneaking" higher level books that "he isn't ready for;" but at home when I would let him read higher level books that he was interested in his reading levels jump like crazy. Now he's high enough that there are "somewhat" interesting books on his level so the fight isn't about the level anymore but now it's just "he's just not allowed unless it's from the basket." (and by the way the basket is a bunch of used books DONATED to the school!) It's the same with math. I was against going to math places until May when his teacher spent an entire meeting trying to convince me DS really doesn't understand addition and "re-grouping" meanwhile at home I could see he did and he was mastering multiplication. I realized then I need to start doing something where he was allowed to move ahead when he really was ready and he is doing phenomenally.

I called the teacher and told how appalled I am that he would be punished for reading magic treehouse and secrets of droon. And how unfair that is to my child that he be punished for being on a higher level than most of the class and for being interested in adventure and fantasy books.

Last edited by Irena; 10/02/13 02:29 PM.