Polarbear - he's in 2nd. Oddly I think he is one of the most advanced kids in the class - no one else from his class gets the math differientation and he said he is only of the only kids on level RR for reading. He said it's surprising how many of the kids aren't such good readers and according to him no one seems all that good math either. It's a bit odd because last year he had more 'peers' and a few kids above him and he liked that. He sussed out another guy sneaking Bionicle books during reading and they have become friends but, so far, it doesnt seem other-Bionicle-book-guy has gotten caught yet.

Anyway, the problem is not that the books are magic treehouse, nor is it the level. It's not their appropriateness either. The problem is they are 'magic treehouse books that have not been donated and made a part of the class basket.' [DS at home is reading on a 5th grade level (white and black level 100 book challenge books) but of course he can not read above his assessed level at school, which is RR.] It's about 'he is told to pick 100 book challenge book from the class red basket and those are the only books he is permitted to read. He needs to "follow directions" and read the books from the basket he is told to read from. I'm not sure any one else complains about anything at this school, everyone simply raves on and on about it and the teachers (it's like no says anything bad here or shows anger - it's a bit like "stepford parents" LOL but maybe I just have to do more digging.). Also my kid simply is not at all that compliant by nature, maybe other kids are just more compliant on such issues. Most people rave about the teachers. I was told this one was "strict but fabulous!" so I was nervous she'd be overly rigid (looks like I may be right)... I noticed many of DS's friends of Asian and Indian descent (1st generation kiddos) are very far ahead in math mostly but also in reading... From what i have observed the kids do outside tutoring amd things like Kumon and whatever else there is. However they do not seem to cause any trouble at school (not that I have seen yet) . Like, my DS's friend last year - he was 1st generation Indian and above DS in math (and would teach DS the higher level stuff when they had free time) and reading but when I asked DS doesn't "friend" get annoyed or bored or complained since he is even higher, DS said, "No he just does what he is told to do and doesn't disobey or complain. I guess it doesn't bother him as much." I am not sure what to think. I do remember one mom/neighbor last year saying about her daughter "I hope she finally starts learning something." but then didn't say anymore and went back to fake, super bubbly demeanor.

Anyway, allegedly DS is now allowed to read the Magic Treehouse Ice Wizard book. I am wondering how my donations will work, though - I am a little concenred that the books will be circulated out other classes.... not that I mind that but I do want DS to have access to at least one or two of them.

Last edited by Irena; 10/03/13 11:01 AM.