Oh, Irena. frown

I'm so sorry.

This is AWFUL.

If I may make a suggestion? When dealing with elementary educators, I've found that it is often successful/wise to take a non-confrontational approach that permits them (no matter how incompetent their thinking/approach) to come to the correct conclusions THEMSELVES. In colloquial terminology this could be termed the "two hands and a flashlight" model of communication.

I think that I may be confused about this. Can you help me?

(Oh, am I ever "confused" about this-- because it's RIDICULOUS.)

What is the learning objective for this activity? I'm not sure that I understand that, and I'd like to be able to support it from our end, as well.

(Make the teacher go back to-- WHY is this in the curriculum, again?)

Oh-- that's lovely! What a great thing!

(Now teacher is listening to YOU, because you are being compliant and friendly)

Hmm-- yes, I can see how that is a great goal! Uh oh, though-- what if my child isn't finding {plan} engaging enough to be compliant?? I agree that this is a big problem in a classroom. I'm not sure that I'm understanding why my child is being punished-- how will that accomplish {objective} here?

Clearly, a problem exists... wonder what WE can do to solve this... wink (This isn't confrontational if it's done with genuine confusion-- which, okay, is actually the only rational response here aside from ANGER, which will make teacher oppositional again.)

What do you suggest we can try so that this activity isn't feeling like punishment?

If teacher comes up empty, you can ask "Can we try -----?" questions to feed solutions in.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.